- (Place Sainte-Croix)Flagey denotes the building in Ixelles that formerly housed the National Institute of Radio Broadcasting (Institut National de Radiodiffusion/Nationaal Insti-tuut voor Radio-omroep). Created in 1930, the institute sought a headquarters site, and Belgian architect Joseph Diongre (1878-1963) designed the building. Completed in 1938, it was one of Europe's earliest radio centers and certain features, notably its studios, became world renowned. The structure was used for television beginning in the 1950s and many cultural organizations were also located here from 1974 until its closure in 1995. It was saved from demolition in 1995 by the Maison de la Radio Flagey S.A./Omroep Flagey N.V., a company created through investments from 30 firms, which bought the property from the Belgian broadcasting company (RTBF/VRT). Completely renovated, the building serves as a venue for jazz, contemporary, and classical music performances as well as films. Popularly dubbed the "steamship" in reference to its shape, it serves as the residence of the Brussels Jazz Orchestra.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.