- Situated at the foot of the Koekelberg hill, Ganshoren ("marshland of the goose") was first mentioned in 1112. The commune was never included within the cuve of Brussels. In 1659, it was joined with several other villages, including Jette, into the estate of a noble lord (Rivieren). During the French regime, it was joined to Jette, and, under a law of 31 March 1841, it was made a separate borough. It then counted approximately 900 residents. Ganshoren was noted for its medieval chateau and forested tracts. It remained a rural community until 1925 when construction of the avenue Charles Quint and lengthening of tram lines began its suburbanization.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.