- Gare du Midi/Zuidstation
- The Gare du Mid s the railway station that services the southern portions of the metropolitan area. Originally called Gare des Bogards, and located at the place Rouppe, the station was inaugurated at the latter site on 17 May 1840. Work began at the present location in 1862 following designs by Auguste Payen. The new station, which included a neo-Corinthian portico topped by a chariot and three figures representing Progress, Science, and Labor, opened to great festivities on 28 September 1869. It was first lit by electric light in 1877. The old station was demolished in 1949 and replaced by a structure designed by architects Y. Blomme and J. F. Petit. It forms part of the present station. Rail lines to and from Charleroi, Mons, France, and points south arrived and departed from here. Today it is the metropolitan region's major station for international destinations, including the Eurostar link to London.See also Transportation and Communications.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.