- Hal, Porte de/Hallepoort
- (Boulevard du Midi and Boulevard de Waterloo)The porte de Hal is the sole surviving gate from the second town wall of the 14th century. It was built on pylons sunk into the marshy soil and defensive works included ponds, which were drained in the 19th century. The bastion was used to store grain in the 18th century and as a prison starting in March 1759. It was spared when the gates were dismantled in 1782-1784 because of its use as a military prison. The wounded from Waterloo returned to the city through the porte de Hal in 1815 and municipal archives were stored here in 1827. They were later removed because of the humid air. Scheduled for demolition, it was saved again in 1832 and restored in 1868-1870 by Henri Beyaert, who had much altered and embellished the structure with towers. The now ivy-covered structure houses the Museum of Folklore.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.