- A commune in the Brussels Capital Region to the west of Brussels, Jette derives its name from a stream, which is today covered over, that flowed not far from the center of the village. Early references refer to it as Getta (1148), Gettensis (1169), and Ghetensis (1176). Later, the name of the parish located here was attached to it, and it was known as Saint-Pierre-Jette until the early 19th century. Human habitation has been found dating to prehistoric times and a Gallo-Roman villa has been excavated (1968-1971).An agricultural village, it consisted of a group of thatched cottages clustered at the crossroads linking Brussels to Wemmel. White stone quarries here were used for constructing such buildings as the Cathédrale des Saints-Michel-et-Gudule. Workshops arrived after demolition of the second town wall and development proceeded, stimulated by transportation improvements. The railway to Ghent stopped here beginning in 1856 and a terminal was built in 1861. The current station dates from 1892.The Hôtel de Ville, inaugurated in 1901, was designed by JeanJacques Van Ysendyck. It exemplifies neo-Renaissance Flemish Style.The abbey of Dieleghem was built in Jette about 1775. It was designed by Laurent-Benoît Dewez (1731-1812), architect to Charles of Lorraine. The abbey was shut down during the French regime. It houses museums today, including the Musée communal du Comté de Jette.The commune of Ganshoren had been linked to Jette until it was separated from the latter in 1841.French surrealist painter René Magritte lived in Jette from 1930 to 1954 in a home he rented at rue Esseghem 135, which today houses a museum.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.