- Maison du Roi/Broodhuis
- (Grand' Place)Located directly opposite the Hôtel de Ville, the Maison de Roi originated in the early 13th century as the Broodhuys (Bread Hall), the guildhall of the bakers. It was reconstructed in the early 15th century and, the bakers' guild having departed, it served as a storehouse used by bakers from outside Brussels to sell their goods. Acquired by the dukes of Burgundy to house tax offices and law courts, the Hertogenhuys (Duke's house) passed into the possession of Charles V, who ordered it demolished in 1512-1513. Rebuilding began in 1515 under architect Lodewijk Van Bodeghem, who was replaced in 1517 by Heinrich van Pede. Pede directed that piles be placed in the marshy ground to shore up the foundations. It became known as the King's House following King Philip II's installation of additional law courts in the late 16th century. In the 17th century, Archduchess Isabella had the structure rebuilt in stone. Destroyed in the bombardment of 1695, it was reconstructed in 1768 and shorn of its rooftop pediments and decorative sculptures. The building passed through several owners and was razed and rebuilt, beginning in 1873 and ending in 1895, according to original plans under the direction of municipal architect Victor Jamar together with Henri Beyaert. It houses the Museum of the City of Brussels (Musée de la Ville de Bruxelles).
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.