- Marché au Fromage, Rue du/Kaasmarktstraat
- In the 13th century, the street was called Smaelbeke ("narrow stream") in reference to the rivulet that ran alongside. Cheese sellers' stalls were located here together with those of several others, including onion and chestnut merchants. Butchers arrived after 1615. The sale of cheese ceased before the 18th century, and the street was then occupied by carpenters and other craftsmen and tradesmen.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.