- Musée, Place du/Museumplein
- In the 14th century, the site was marked by a body of water called Jodenpoel ("pond of the Jews"). It was drained in 1337 and a large manor house and chapel built by Dutch lord Willem van Duvenwoorde (see PALAIS DE NASSAU). The rue de Musée—more generally designated as "place du Musée"—indicated the southwest portico that opened onto the place Royale. The road leading to the Palais de Nassau was designated rue de la Cour under Charles of Lorraine, rue de l'Égalité during the French regime, and place du Musée during the Dutch regime following the establishment of an art gallery and library in the Palais de Charles de Lorraine (Musée de Palais de Nassau).
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.