- Athenée de Bruxelles
- The Athenée de Bruxelles has its origins in the lycée established by a law of 1 May 1801. The school opened in April 1803 and was located in the former abbey of the Coudenberg Palace (at the current rue Bréderode and rue Namur). Under the Dutch regime, the Lycée de Bruxelles was named the École royale des Sciences et des Lettres de Bruxelles, the name being changed in 1818 to the Athenée royale de Bruxelles. It became a city-run school in 1831, but under the guidance of the state, which extended financial subsidies. In 1838 the school moved to the former hospice Terarken on rue des Douze-Apôtres. On 10 May 1851, it again reverted to state control, when the administration was reorganized and primary instruction discontinued. The Athenée moved again to the Hôtel Arconati on place Royale (1863-1866) and then to a building on rue du Chêne (1883).During the 19th century, the school engendered lively debate as city officials complained of having to pay one-third of expenses when at least half of the pupils came from the suburbs.In 1911-1912, a Dutch-language section appeared. An extension of the Athenee (Athenee II) is located in Laeken.See also Education.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.