- Notre-Dame aux Neiges
- Notre-Dame aux Neiges designates a former street that gave its name to a district in the upper town north of the Palais de la Nation. It was popularly known as the "lace-makers' district" because many residents engaged in that trade. By the mid-19th century, the district's dense network of narrow streets had become a virtual slum and its proximity to government buildings and homes of the well-to-do prompted calls for action. City funds were then largely spent in carrying out the work of vaulting the Senne River and laying out the central boulevards. State monies were also unavailable. Under arrangements facilitated by King Leopold II, a private company bankrolled chiefly by English capital was created. Beginning in 1874, the company purchased run-down buildings, laid out straight and wide streets, constructed more than 200 dwellings, and sold tracts of land to individual buyers. The rue de l'Association was laid out in 1876, and the rue du Congrès and rue de l'Enseignement in 1877. By 1880, the work was largely completed and commercial and residential buildings drew middle- and upper-income residents to the area.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.