- Notre-Dame de Bon Secours/Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Goede Bijstand
- (Church) (Rue de Marché au Charbon)The church of Notre-Dame de Bon Secours stands on the site of the Saint-Jacques inn that served as a haven for pilgrims and travelers. It was founded in the 12th century. In 1625, a shoemaker found what was believed to be a miraculous statue here and the chapel on the site subsequently proved too small to accommodate increasing numbers of visitors. A larger church was needed and construction began in 1664. It was designed by architect Jan Cortvrindt, who died in 1681, in the midst of construction. The work was finished by Pieter-Paul Merckx and Willem De Bruyn. One year after its completion (1694) it was badly damaged in the bombardment of 1695. The roof, cupola, and furnishings were restored between 1696 and 1699. It was closed in 1797 during the French regime and reopened in 1803. The Italianate-Flemish church was again restored in a piecemeal fashion in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.