- Palais D'Egmont/Egmontpaleis
- (Rue aux Laines)This town house was constructed in l533-1534 for the princess of Gavre, the mother of the count of Egmont, who continued the building work. Subsequent enlargements transformed the Petit Palais d'Eg-mont into the Grand Hôtel d'Egmont. The original Renaissance dwelling features nine Doric pilasters and Ionic columns. A classical wing was added in 1753 by the duke of Arenberg, who had married the Egmont heiress. Tilman-François Suys extended the buildings and built the left wing and a riding school (1832-1835). Another wing was added in 1905 after a fire destroyed the last Gothic remnants of the structure. Illustrious guests who stayed at the Palais d'Egmont included Queen Christina of Sweden, King Louis XV of France, and Voltaire.The city acquired the building in 1918. It became the property of the Belgian state in 1964, the palace was restored in 1971, and it is now occupied by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.In the garden stands a bronze statue Peter Pan by British sculptor Sir George Franton. Inaugurated on 29 June 1924, it serves as a monument to celebrate both the joys of childhood and Anglo-Belgian concord.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.
Look at other dictionaries:
Palais d'Egmont — 50°50′19″N 4°21′26″E / 50.83861, 4.35722 … Wikipédia en Français
Egmont Palace — The Egmont Palace (Dutch: Egmontpaleis , French: Palais d Egmont ) is a large mansion at the Wolstraat / Rue aux Laines and the Kleine Zavel / Petit Sablon in Brussels, Belgium. It is being used by the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.It was… … Wikipedia
Egmontpaleis — See Palais D Egmont … Historical Dictionary of Brussels