- Palais de Nassau/Nassauerpaleis
- The most ornate of the elegant palaces after the Coudenberg Palace that once existed on the Coudenberg hill, the Palais de Nassau, or the Palais d'Orange, stood on the site of a pond called Jodenpoel ("pond of the Jews"). It was drained in 1337 and a Gothic-style manor house and chapel were built by Dutch nobleman Willem van Duvenvoorde. His granddaughter married into the Nassau family, in whose possession the structure remained for over 300 years. It was extensively renovated and embellished during succeeding centuries. William of Orange lived here and illustrious visitors included the duke of Marlborough and Prince Eugene of Savoy. Governor-general Marie-Elisabeth, together with the court, took refuge here in 1731 following the destruction of the ducal palace, and it was hereafter dubbed "Nouvelle Cour" (New Court) by resident governors-general. In 1756, Charles of Lorraine purchased the property from the princess of Orange and ordered the reconstruction of much of the building. The town house occupied the space bounded by the current place du Musée, rue de la Montagne de la Cour, boulevard de l'Empereur, and rue de Ruysbroeck.See also Palais de Charles de Lorraine.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nassauerpaleis — See Palais de Nassau … Historical Dictionary of Brussels