- (Church) (Place Sainte-Catherine)Situated on the south side of the place Sainte-Catherine, the church of Sainte-Catherine occupies a site of a chapel first cited in 1201 and of an earlier church built from the 14th to the 15th centuries, whose foundation had been steadily sinking in the marshy soil. The baroque-style tower is all that remains. The church was designed by Joseph Poelaert and Wynand Janssens and built from 1854 to 1859. It features an admixture of Romanesque, Gothic, and Renaissance styles. The new edifice contains a number of pictorial works from the former church, notably by Theodor van Loon (Annunciation) and Jan van Orley (Brussels Chronicle, Adoration of the Kings). It also contains a renowned Black Madonna statue dating from the 14th century; originally made of limestone, it has turned black over time.See also Parishes.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.