- Saint-Géry, Place/Sint-Gooriksplein
- The place Saint-Géry is located on the site of the former island of that name, reputedly the locale where the chapel to Saint-Géry was built circa 695. The square dates from 1788 and occupies the spot where the Saint-Géry church stood, which was demolished at that time. It was designated place de la Fontaine during the French regime because of the pyramidal, iron fountain erected at its center. The name was changed to Saint-Géry in 1832, and the fountain was enclosed in 1881 by the Halles Saint-Géry, an airy, covered market built of glass and iron that replaced the open market which had long been held here.See also Saint-Géry (island).
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sint-Gooriksplein — See Saint Géry, Place … Historical Dictionary of Brussels