- Tour Anneessens/Anneessenstoren
- (Boulevard de L'Empereur)A remnant of a corner tower of the first town wall that was discovered in 1957 and restored in 1967, the Tour Anneessens is also known as the Tour d'Angle (Hoektoren). Part of a two-storey curtain wall with semicircular arching, the tower features ribbed barrel vaulting. An octagonal staircase turret can be seen against the circular tower and the portion of wall alongside is topped by a parapet walkway lined with merlons. The tower acquired its name from its location near the former site of the Steenporte, where Frans Anneessens was allegedly imprisoned. During the 15th century, it became known as the "Pyntorre" because it contained a torture chamber.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.
Look at other dictionaries:
Anneessenstoren — See Tour Anneessens … Historical Dictionary of Brussels