- Located south of Brussels, Uccle was first cited about 1090. Its etymology is uncertain although probably of Germanic origin, derived from huk ("hill") followed by the diminutive "l." The parish of Uccle is of very ancient origin, perhaps founded as early as the seventh century. Legend holds the church of Saint-Pierre was consecrated in 804 by Charlemagne and Pope Leo III. The area, which fell under the direct jurisdiction of the counts of Leuven and then the dukes of Brabant, was gradually reduced over the centuries as resident lords built great estates so that the ducal areas (comprised of the village of Uccle), constituted only a small portion of land by the 18th century. A tribunal of aldermen is first recorded in 1136. Cited as the county of Uccle in ancient sources, the community gave its name to a feudal right (droit d'Uccle) granting certain precisely defined privileges to rural locales. The village of Uccle was accorded various liberties by the dukes as early as 1213, and a mayoral office existed since the 13th century. The village was constituted as a commune in being joined with neighboring great estates during the French regime. One of the latter, the chateau of Carlo, located on the current place de Saint-Job, began as a fortified manor house at the beginning of the 13th century and evolved into a neoclassical chateau, built in 1775. It burned in 1790.Suburban growth began after the 1880s following construction of the avenue Brugmann in 1875. Known as the "green commune," the area comprises numerous woods, parks, and gardens. Uccle is noted for its upscale residential neighborhoods.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.