- Val Duchesse/S'Hertoghinnedaal
- The Val Duchesse compromise was reached in July 1963 in negotiations to define the boundaries of the Brussels bilingual area. The agreement gave French-language speakers the concessions they had sought in six peripheral communes—Drogenbos, Linkebeek, Kraainem, Wemmel, Wezembeek-Oppem, and Sint-Genesius-Rode (see COMMUNES À FACILITÉS). French-speakers were granted the right to use French in contacts with local authorities and to set up French-language nursery and primary schools.The compromise takes its name from that of the chateau where the agreement was reached. Located in Auderghem, it was founded as a convent about 1260, one of Belgium's oldest Dominican residences. It was named for its founder, Duchess Aleyde, the duchess-regent of Brabant and widow of Duke Henry III. The complex of buildings was destroyed in 1562, rebuilt, and closed in 1784 following the dissolution of religious houses. The grounds were sold during the French regime. In 1930, the Belgian state acquired the chateau, one of two remaining buildings. It has been used as a site for meetings, including the first sessions of the Common Market and the European Atomic Energy Agency (EURATOM).
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.