- (Place des Palais)The Hôtel Belle-Vue was constructed in 1776-1777 by Philippe de Proft, a wine merchant, based on plans drafted by Barnabé Guimard (1731-1805), on grounds that were formerly occupied in part by the Coudenberg Palace. It served as a luxury hotel and later as the residence of Princess Clementine, King Leopold II's daughter, and of future king Leopold III shortly after his marriage to Princess Astrid. Acquired by the state in 1904, it was largely altered and incorporated into the Palais Royal. Extensively renovated, the mansion today houses the Museum of the Belgian Dynasty and the King Baudouin Memorial, and it serves as the access site to the subterranean ruins of the Coudenberg Palace.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.