- A commune in the Brussels Capital Region, Woluwe-Saint-Lambert is located among the outer suburbs in the so-called second crown (seconde couronne) of the metropolitan area. The name Woluwe (sometimes written Woluwé) derived from a tributary of the Senne River and the community that evolved in the valley of the Woluwe dates at least from the 12th century. An agricultural settlement through the 19th century, it developed around the ancient hamlet of Roodebeek. Arrowheads and other artifacts dating from the Stone Age have been unearthed in the commune. The medieval history of the borough centers on its church, which was first mentioned in the 12th century and which constituted a dependence of the collegiate church of Saints-Michel-et-Gudule until the end of the ancien régime. Large farms were owned and managed through seven centuries by the abbey at Forest.The commune has boasted many artists in residence, including painters Constant Montald (1862-1944), Edgard Tytgat (1879-1957), and Jan Stobbaerts (1838-1914), sculptor Oscar Jespers (1887-1971), and musician Henri Thiébault (1865-1959). Woluwe-Saint-Lambert remains a residential suburb today.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.