Halles Saint-Géry/Sint-Goerik Hallen
- (Place Saint-Géry)A covered central market constructed in 1881, the Halles Saint-Géry occupies the site of a church that long stood on this spot, where tradition holds Saint Géry founded a chapel at the end of the seventh century. The last church here was razed by revolutionary zealots during the French regime. The red brick-covered building embodies a combination of Flemish neo-Renaissance design and innovative late-19th-century materials, including glass and iron. Renovations in the late 1980s preserved the wrought-iron features.First used as a meat market, it served later as a shopping arcade and it now holds exhibits on the urban and cultural heritage of Brussels.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sint-Goerik Hallen — See Halles Saint Géry … Historical Dictionary of Brussels