- Place Rouppe was inaugurated on 26 September 1841. Named in honor of the city's first burgomaster Nicolas Rouppe, the square is sited on a large meadow that was used as a place to dry the laundry of a nearby firm, the Blanchisserie de la Pierre bleue. On the south side of the square stood the first Gare du Midi—originally Gare des Bogards — that opened on 17 May 1840. Proximity to the train station made the square the nerve center for many early trams. The city's central bus station is located here.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.