- This square was laid out in 1870 after the Sainte-Catherine basin, one of the great docks servicing vessels plying the Willebroeck Canal, was filled in. The square was built over the old salt and seed quays, and it served as the site for the city fish market until 1955. The area has been associated with the name of Saint Catherine since the beginning of the 13th century.See also Marché aux Poissons.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sint-Katelijneplein — See Sainte Catherine, Place … Historical Dictionary of Brussels