Saint-Jean-Baptiste au Béguinage/Sint-Jan de Doper
- (Church) (Place du Béguinage)Dedicated to Saint John the Baptist, this church served as a place of worship for the Beguines. The original Gothic chapel was rebuilt beginning in 1657. A financial shortfall delayed completion until 1676, when it was consecrated. The architect is unknown. It serves as a classic example of the Italianate-Flemish style of architecture. The hexagonal tower has a Gothic structure and the exterior includes baroque features such as onion-shaped lantern turrets on the side chapels and elaborately ornamented transept walls. The interior features a profusion of sculptures and rich ornamentation.
Historical Dictionary of Brussels. Paul F. State.